Our family traveled to the “path of totality” on August 21 to view the eclipse. Despite many hardships in getting there, it was well worth the trip. The dramatic veiling of the sun and the incredible witness to the order and beauty God has woven into creation was a sight to behold. The words of David in Psalm 19:1 are beyond apt, “The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth his handiwork.” Yet, many gazed up at this manifestation of God’s glory and saw nothing of Him. For this reason the Lord has called us to share the gospel and to plant new churches.
Even more amazing than the eclipse, however, is that the Lord causes the sun to shine, “uneclipsed,” day after day and year after year, to provide light and life. Through this we are reminded that He is unchanging and faithful to all He has promised. His glory and his promised gifts, though sometimes unseen, are never eclipsed. For,
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
One of these promised gifts is that the Lord will build His Church. Pray with us in the following ways as we seek to see this promise unfold through River City Reformed Church in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Thanksgiving for answers to specific prayer in the lives of our core group members regarding job opportunities, health and healing, and direction.
- Thanksgiving for new families who joined us during August and are interested in our vision of planting a Reformed Church committed to ordinary means evangelism, confessionally Reformed worship and family-integrated ministry, worship and discipleship.
- For Pastor Wheeler’s father-in-law as he continues difficult rehabilitation at home following a serious car accident and stroke.
- For the continued growth of our Men’s Bible Study, Lessons from Nehemiah, which we pray will be effective in discipleship and outreach to men in our city.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment as we begin to plan the transition from Bible Study to Worship in our Lord’s Day gatherings.
- Pray for our families as they exercise their spiritual gifts to engage those in their sphere of influence who are unbelievers, disbelievers or disconnected believers.